Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102179: Silence gnus-util.el compilation.

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102179: Silence gnus-util.el compilation.
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 12:35:46 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> -(autoload 'iswitchb-read-buffer "iswitchb")
>> +(declare-function iswitchb-read-buffer "iswitchb"
>> +              (prompt &optional default require-match start matches-set))
>> +(defvar iswitchb-temp-buflist)
>> +
>>  (defun gnus-iswitchb-completing-read (prompt collection &optional
>> require-match
>>                                              initial-input history def)
>>    "`iswitchb' based completing-read function."
>> +  (require 'iswitchb)
>>    (let ((iswitchb-make-buflist-hook
>>           (lambda ()
>>             (setq iswitchb-temp-buflist
>
> I'm not convinced that declare-function+require is better than autoload.
> What was the problem with autoload?

It might load iswitchb while an iswitchb variable was let bound. Eg:

  (let ((iswitchb-make-buflist-hook t))
    (require 'iswitchb))

  C-h v iswitchb-make-buflist-hook
  It is void as a variable.

PS could you reply to emacs-devel rather than emacs-diffs in these cases?
(I don't know why emacs-diffs is even configured to accept postings
other than from Savannah.)