Re: Combining face and map stuff

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Combining face and map stuff
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 09:40:33 +0200

> If the new protocol itself is the advantage, then perhaps what I'm
> missing is the essence of the problems that you proposal is trying to
> solve.

Here are some problems that this protocol solves:

- there can currently only be one owner of a text-property, which
  creates conflicts.  We have various workarounds in use for that:
  - use overlays instead of text-properties.
  - use char-property-alias-alist.
  - add hooks in one of the packages and let the other work through
    those hooks (e.g. hi-lock using font-lock).
  - add a secondary property to try and record who put the property, so
    as to be able to recognize one's own properties when time comes to
    remove them.

- there is no way currently to combine various property values (the OP's
  question).

        Stefan