Re: Combining face and map stuff

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Combining face and map stuff
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 21:09:22 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 20:08:26 +0200
>
> Package foo wants to add `face' stuff and package bar also wants to add
> `face' stuff.  If both add it to the same piece of text, we have
> a problem, and if they want to update it later they have to know who
> "owns" the particular value (i.e. who it comes from) to know whether it
> should be updated or not.

In that case, I'm sorry, but I must ask the same question again: how
will the display engine know which face to display?

Let's say we have a buffer, in which both package foo and package bar
defined different faces for the same piece of text.  Which one of them
will be displayed, and how would the display engine know to choose it?

> >> - there is no way currently to combine various property values (the OP's
> >> question).
> > What's wrong with add-text-properties?
>
> It never combines values of a single property, just overwrites an old
> value with a new one.

Light begins slowly to turn on...