Re: Problems with xml-parse-string

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Problems with xml-parse-string
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 12:35:49 +0200

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> I've just checked in a change that renames the libxml functions to
> xml-parse-html-string-internal and xml-parse-string-internal.  I've also
> made the parse tree format identical to that of xml.el.

Euhm.  Actually, I spent quite a bit of thought on the parse tree format
that the functions spit out to make it regular, easy and fast to deal
with.  The format that xml.el spits out is more arcane and less
comfortable to use.  You can't say `(assq 'img (cdr node))' and stuff to
get the image nodes, because the child nodes aren't a regular assoc
list (because of the string fields) and stuff.

So I protest the change.

Anyway, I was going to rework the functions to be `html-parse-buffer'
again, since in 99% of cases you have the html in a buffer, and putting
it in a string just to call that function is odd.

If you're concerned about previous users of xml.el being confused by the
change in parse tree format, I don't think you have to worry all that
much, because there are zero (0) users of the xml.el `xml-parse-string'
in the Emacs tree.

Please revert.

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen