Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 16:27:13 +0300

> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 01:49:52 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Recentering happens whenever you are at the bottom of the screen if
> some conditions are met. I can reproduce it with this:
>
> - Open window.c
> - Goto line 702:
>
>                            + WINDOW_HEADER_LINE_HEIGHT (w)),
>
> - Turn on wrap-to-fill-column-mode. Turn it off again.
> - Turn on visual-line-mode
> - I have (window-width) = 55, height 34.
> - Position to W in WINDOW (it is on a wrapped line)
> - Use C-L to get this to the bottom.
> - Press down arrow.

With the latest trunk, I cannot reproduce this: pressing the down
arrow just scrolls by a single line, as expected.  However, I'm not
sure I did all the necessary steps.

First, how did you get to window-width of 55?  I just resized the
Emacs frame.

Next, there's this:

> (Note: wrap-to-fill-column-mode justs adds add wrap-prefix here. Which
> is for some reason does not remove. Bug ;-( --
> wrap-to-fill-column-mode is of course part of nXhtml, but probably you
> can just add a fill prefix on the whole line that is equal to what the
> line indentation have.)

wrap-to-fill-column-mode is complicated.  If you still see the problem
with the current trunk, please show a recipe that does not use
wrap-to-fill-column-mode, but instead sets the fill prefix and/or
whatever else is needed to reproduce this problem in "emacs -Q".