Re: Window configurations

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 10:22:11 +0200

> Interesting problem in itself, indeed.  Luckily, I'm satisfied with the
> each area for that purpose.  Good luck!

The echo area sucks for two reasons: When you have windows above each
other and work in the upper one, your eyes have to continuously pass
through the lower window down to the echo area.  What's worse, however,
is that the eldoc message obscures all sorts of other messages which is
particularly annoying when you want to read them during debugging.

> I know you think dedicated windows suck and that I like them so much
> that "when you have a hammer everything looks like a nail", but I think
> this is really a good case to mark the window dedicated.  I'm not sure
> whether set-window-configuration would do the right thing currently
> (kill the window if the buffer died), but if it doesn't, it'd be
> a clear bug that needs fixing.

I don't think that dedicated windows suck and even went so far as to
give them an entire section in the Elisp manual ;-)

On the average, 50% of my windows are dedicated and they suit my needs
well.  So I think that hardly anyone out there uses dedicated windows
more than me.  And my eldoc-windows are obviously dedicated - they would
not be usable otherwise.

Having `set-window-configuration' "kill the window if the buffer died"
is not entirely trivial though.  What shall we do when the last window
has a deleted buffer?  Kill the frame?

martin