Re: Window configurations

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 19:12:20 +0300

> My point was that you wound't be able to open a file without
> knowing buffer-file-name once emacs gets closed. In particular,
> if a window-configuration-sexp doesn't contain such a thing as
> buffer-file-name, you wound't be able to reconstruct
>
>> (setq buffer1 (find-file-noselect "<file-path>"))
>
> since <file-path> gets lost upon exit. Of course you can
> store <file-path> for each file buffer "somewhere", but I
> thought the point of having window-configuration-sexp's is to
> save that kind of extra work and provide a canonical way of
> restoring frame states.

The point of set-window-configuration-from-sexp is to restore the
configuration of windows, not to duplicate the functionality of desktop.el.

> I was hoping that ideally emacs would hold buffer-file-name's in
> the sexp and let the user specify a "buffer-recovery-function" to
> recover a frame state as well as buffers, so that, hypothetically,
>
> (restore-window-configuration-from-sexp
>   a-window-configuration-sexp 'live-p  #'find-file-noselect)
>
> would restore buffers as well as a window configuration.

It is the purpose of desktop.el to save and restore buffers.
It provides a special "hook" `desktop-save-buffer' where packages
can save their buffer info to be able to restore them later.

If you don't want to use desktop.el, perhaps you could take a look
at bookmark.el.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/