Re: endless version control debates [was Re: Using Git to manage your Em

From: Jeff Clough
Subject: Re: endless version control debates [was Re: Using Git to manage your Emacs changes]
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 17:10:27 -0400

Leo <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2010-04-22 18:52 +0100, Chad Brown wrote:
>> The point of choosing Bazaar was to give the support of `Emacs uses
>> it' and `Emacs developers use it' to the official GNU VCS system.
>> Anything that encourages Emacs [developers] to use not-Bazaar hampers
>> that goal.
>
> That sounded like doctrine.
>
> What makes other free version systems less free than bzr and why should
> it be a problem to provide a mirror to the bzr repo that allow people to
> use the tool of their choice?

Speaking from the sidelines, today I have the following version control
systems on my machine (that I can remember off the top of my head):

bazaar
cvs
mercurial
darcs
subversion
git

Each of these is necessary for one or more pieces of software I like to
stay current with.  Choice is nice and all, but the fact that there are
six different VCSs I have to care about in 2010 is pretty insane.
Anything that brings that number closer to one would be a good thing in
my book.

Jeff