Re: Emacs 22 Carbon+AppKit port and Emacs 23 Mac port

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Emacs 22 Carbon+AppKit port and Emacs 23 Mac port
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 17:56:37 +0900

> YAMAMOTO-san, I found emacs-23.1-mac-1.92.tar.gz file is not there.

Sorry for inconvenience.  I temporarily withdrew the file because I
found a minor mistake before no one had downloaded it.  It is
available now.

> Since Snow Leopard is out of cage, I am wondering if YAMAMOTO-san
> intend to add mac port into Emacs trunk. I personally hope this can
> happen.  With mac port added, the greatest befinet is Emacs can work
> on all MacOSX versions. And if I understand correctly, it's not
> possible for Cocoa port to achieve this easily.

At least, I'd like to make the Mac port separate for now: it's still
at the experimental/hackers-only stage.  I hope I can get rid of that
label shortly after the 23.2 release.

> 1 Emacs (22, 23 and TRUNK?) works on all MacOSX versions.
> User can choose to build mac port or Cocoa port.
> Take 23 for example (I dont use 22 so I can not say for it):
> User can build mac/Cocoa port on 10.3-10.5
> User can build mac port on 10.6

The Mac port can be built on Mac OS X 10.2 - 10.6.  As far as I know,
the NS port can be built on Mac OS X 10.4 - 10.6: there is a problem
with a compilation on 10.3 (*1), and a 32-bit binary can be made on
10.6 (*2) with a small patch (23.1) or as it is (CVS trunk).

*1: http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=3917
*2: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-08/msg01401.html

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden