Re: moving window handling into lisp

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: moving window handling into lisp
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 11:02:09 +0200

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 10:57 AM, martin rudalics<address@hidden> wrote:
>> 1) Make a logical representation of the window tree where you split as
>> necessary.
>> 2) Walk this logical tree bottom up collecting minimum required window
>> sizes.
>> 3) Walk top bottom-wise applying the sizes as they could be.
>> 4) Apply the splitting and the computed sizes to the window tree.
>>
>> Step 3 could of course fail if the minimum sizes does not fit.
>
> The case where the minimum (and probably fixed) sizes don't fit is what
> makes this problem hard and is _all_ I care about.  You end up by
> deleting a window because it drops below some minimum height and when
> that windows is missing you can't keep the fixed-sizeness of another
> window ...

Mmm, but that problem does not make it np-complete...

... or perhaps it is then since there can be no solution in this case ... ;-)

I do not understand what you mean. You have found that it can't be
solved in this case, or? What am I missing?

>> Step 4 should be know problem in itself (fi the needed primitives are
>> available of course).
>
> The current primitives do a lot of deleting by themselves.  So your tree
> carefully laid out in 3) might become a mess in 4).

Yes. The primitives must be changed so there is a chance of putting
back the tree in 4 at all. (But I think I have said that several
times.)