RE: face-remap.el patch to resize window

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: face-remap.el patch to resize window
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:00:24 -0700

> What do you think of the following patch, which is an alternative
> approach based on hooks?
>
> Basically to get the behavior you want, you can do:
>    (add-hook 'text-scale-mode-hook
>              'text-scale-mode-adjust-window-size)

If that's what it takes to get such a feature added, fine; please go for it.

I don't, however see any advantage of your hook hack over the patch I sent. And
you didn't cite any.

On the contrary, I see disadvantages of your approach:

1. The means of changing the setting (say from vertical to horizontal size
adjustment) is, well, removing and adding hook functions.

Why make users do that? With my patch, you can easily change the option value on
the fly using, say, `set-variable'.

2. What's more, a user could make the option buffer-local, and so have
window-resizing behavior be buffer-specific: don't resize, resize horizontally,
vertically, or both.

At any rate, for my personal use I already have what I need, so if you want to
add your patch to Emacs, I'm in favor.