Re: gnus should accept UTF8 even if UTF-8 is standard

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: gnus should accept UTF8 even if UTF-8 is standard
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 15:31:18 -0400

    In the case of filenames, there surely exist the actual file
    with those ignored extensions.  But, in the case of coding
    systems, such an alias as "utf8" doesn't exist.  Or do you
    still propose to make such an alias as a sencond-class name
    in advance?

To define them as second-class extensions would be one method.
Another is this: `read-coding-system' could create the completion
alist, then add to it modified entries made by replacing "utf-8" with
"utf8".  Then it could read the name, using the appropriate kind of
completion.  When it gets back the value from `completing-read', it
could replace "utf8" with "utf-8".

This avoids having a list of second-class "utf8" aliases.  Those
aliases would be constructed automatically from the valid names
that start with "utf-8".

                 If so, I strongly oppose to it.

Why, what harm would it do?

      If we are
    going to allow users to type all names that are accepted by
    iconv, we must make so many aliases.

I don't know which names are accepted by iconv, so I don't know
whether I'm in favor of accepting them all.

But suppose that we decide to accept them all, and suppose we decide
to do it by defining each one as a second-class alias.  How many
second-class aliases would that require?