Re: gnus should accept UTF8 even if UTF-8 is standard

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: gnus should accept UTF8 even if UTF-8 is standard
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 15:33:29 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     By the way, with such a behavior, when one types "utf8 TAB
>     TAB", what completion list should we show?

> That is a hard question.  Perhaps it should show the same
> analogous set of completions

>     utf8      utf8-auto
>     utf8-auto-dos     utf8-auto-mac
>     utf8-auto-unix    utf8-dos
>     utf8-emacs        utf8-emacs-dos
>     utf8-emacs-mac    utf8-emacs-unix
>     utf8-mac  utf8-unix
>     utf8-with-signature       utf8-with-signature-dos
>     utf8-with-signature-mac   utf8-with-signature-unix

> These could be treated somewhat like `completion-ignored-extensions'
> for filenames: if a first-class name is a possible completion
> then you don't see the second-class ones.  If no first-class name
> is possible, then you do see the second-class ones.

In the case of filenames, there surely exist the actual file
with those ignored extensions.  But, in the case of coding
systems, such an alias as "utf8" doesn't exist.  Or do you
still propose to make such an alias as a sencond-class name
in advance?  If so, I strongly oppose to it.  If we are
going to allow users to type all names that are accepted by
iconv, we must make so many aliases.

I still thinks completing "utf8" to "utf-8" is the best
method.  Even for a filename, if there's a file "test-a" and
I type "tes-a TAB", it is expanded to "test-a".  So,
changing "utf8" to "utf-8" doesn't look that strange.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden