Re: Specifying mode in file variables trouble

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Specifying mode in file variables trouble
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 00:39:07 -0400

    Maybe, but I think most oftenly that will create name clashes.

It will cause name clashes is you choose names of existing major modes,
but you can easily avoid using those.

Here's what I suggest:

If there is a customary name (say, `foo' for a kind of file which mixes
a few ordinary major modes, call the command `foo-mode'.

Otherwise, if you want a command for the combination of two modes `a'
and `b', call it `a-b-mode'.

Or we could use `a+b-mode' for such cases.

    (There are still good reasons to tell
    that it is a multi major mode. The most difficult thing is support of
    minor modes turn on/off and finding reasonable structures for that. Time
    will tell I think.)

Let's talk about this problem; maybe I can suggest a general solution
for it.