Re: Proposal for a new API to fullscreen

From: Ivan Kanis
Subject: Re: Proposal for a new API to fullscreen
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 13:59:34 +0200

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, but according to the docs it should.
>
> ,----[ (info "(elisp)Size Parameters") ]
> | `fullscreen'
> |      Specify that width, height or both shall be set to the size of the
> |      screen.  The value `fullwidth' specifies that width shall be the
> |      size of the screen.  The value `fullheight' specifies that height
> |      shall be the size of the screen.  The value `fullboth' specifies
> |      that both the width and the height shall be set to the size of the
> |      screen.
> `----
>
> In my opinion "size of the screen" != "size of the screen excluding
> taskbar and stuff".  So I'd consider that w32 behavior a bug.

Well 'fullheight' does screen height minus taskbar in Gnome. So
'screen' in the do really means usable desktop space. If you follow
the logic 'fullboth' should be maximize minus desktop toolbar.

After looking at the code for many days, it could be simplified by
creating a new API for fullscreen that just DTRT on X, Mac and
Windows.

I have made a patch for Windows that I sent on this list. There is a
function called mac-toggle-max-window on Carbon Emacs that works.

I am volunteering the time it takes to do it on 22 or 23 if we can
agree on something. The code would be simpler once it's finished: no
more hook functions on the C layer.
--
Ivan
http://kanis.fr

Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by
stupidity.
    -- Robert J. Hanlon