Re: Copyright question

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Copyright question
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:44:54 +0000

'n Morgen Andreas!

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 10:55:14AM +0200, Andreas Röhler wrote:
> Am Freitag, 13. Juni 2008 schrieb Glenn Morris:
> > "??smail Dönmez" wrote:

> > > Of course he can relicense it

> > This was not as obvious to me as it was to others, since we assign
> > our past and future rights to the FSF. But looking at the details,
> > they grant rights back to the original author, so if there is a
> > "pristine" version of org.texi that is solely your own work, you can
> > probably do what you like with it.

> What means "pristine"? New from the scratch?

No, the state it was in before others edited it.

> Copyright-assigment policy will lead to burocracy.

Yes.  But it also prevents other, worse, bureaucracy (yes, it's much
easier to spell in German ;-).

> It will discourage people and stiffle their creativity. And probably it
> will shadow reputation of FSF, which is to deplore not only for Emacs's
> sake.

It hasn't stifled my creativity.  What the copyright assignment is really
about is when "my" copyright is violated, I've got the FSF to take up the
legal cudgels, something I couldn't do on my own.

> I miss the human maintainer and copyright-notice in the sources. It was
> always nice to read. Maintainer FSF reads terrible.

I agree fully.  Can't people be proud of their contributions and leave
their name in?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).