Re: Using `call-process-shell-command' in `process-lines'

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Using `call-process-shell-command' in `process-lines'
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 17:01:12 +0100

On Nov 26, 2007 4:35 PM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> Yes: the use of `args' in call-process-shell-command is strongly
> discouraged in my office because it doesn't do what it says it does: it
> doesn't treat each element of the list as an argument.

I could've bet that not commiting the patch was bound to be a good idea ;)

> Please describe the actual problem so we can find another solution
> to it.

There are two parts: the first one is hardcoded "find" and "grep"
commands, which I want to replace with find-program and grep-command.
I suppose you won't oppose to that.

As for the problem:

 - Running check-declare-directory as it is now (after changing "find"
to `find-program' and "grep" to `grep-program' and suitably setting
the variables):

process-lines: c:/bin/gnuwin32/bin/find.exe exited with status 1
process-lines: c:/bin/msys/bin/find.exe exited with status 1

This is with MSYS' find ("GNU find version 4.1") and GnuWin32's find
("GNU find version 4.2.20").

 - After I wrap "*.el" and "^[\t ]*(check-function" in `shell-quote-argument':

Both programs return succesfully without finding any *.el file (root
is c:/emacs/trunk/lisp/ when I invoke check-declare-directory).

             Juanma