Re: Using `call-process-shell-command' in `process-lines'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Using `call-process-shell-command' in `process-lines'
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 00:04:02 +0200

> Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:25:43 +0100
> From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> >>    find -name *l.el
> >>    find -name m*.el
> >>    find -name "*.el"
> >
> > Sheer luck, the first tow ones.  You _must_ quote the wildcard to get
> > predictable behavior.
> >
> >> Is anyone able to understand what is going on?
> >
> > I explained that in another message.
>
> I think there is more to it. I suspect that the find arg parsing code
> handles a single "*" differently and that this is a bug.

What do you mean by ``find arg parsing code''?  Quoted wildcards are
parsed by the application code called from `find's `main' function,
while unquoted wildcards are parsed by the startup code which runs
before `main'.  These two are different: the former uses GNU `fnmatch'
function (and thus you can use wildcards like "[a-d]*.el"), while the
latter uses a function from Microsoft' runtime, which supports only
the limited Windows semantics of wildcards.

But all this has no direct relation to the problem at hand.  The
problem at hand is that we pass the "*.el" arg incorrectly to `find',
not what `find' does with it.