RE: recenter-top-bottom

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: recenter-top-bottom
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 15:56:28 -0800

> I often type C-l when to point is *near* the middle of the buffer, just
> to slightly adjust the display.

Just out of curiosity, why?

Except for refreshing the display, why anyone would use `C-l' with point
already at or near the center - and want it to stay there - is beyond me.
But people are different.

You could of course still do the same thing, but you would need to hit `C-l'
three times, not one. If you make such minor display adjustments with `C-l'
frequently, then, yes, this is not optimal for you.

> Sometimes, the point is already in the very middle and I
> don't notice it, and typing C-l just leaves the point
> where it is -- which is fine.
>
> I would find it disturbing to see the point jumping at the beginning of
> the window when it is at the middle of the window.  For me, the middle
> of the window is kind of a gravity center, and hitting C-l should go
> there first, even when the point is already at the middle of the window.

As I said, I expect we're not going to be able to satisfy everyone on this,
regardless of how it is tweaked. If we decide to go this route, then there
will always be someone who prefers the old behavior. My preferred response
would be to tell them to just rebind `C-l' to `recenter' - nothing lost. I
would think most people would prefer the proposed behavior - but who knows?

FWIW - I find remarkable the language some people are using. I'm impressed
that anyone finds such a proposal "disturbing" or "an irritation" (and
screams "PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!!!!" for setting `last-command' to an
undefined command name). I'm truly amazed that this is so critical. I have
my own habits and preferences, so I understand, but I'm still a bit
surprised.