Re: recenter-top-bottom

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: recenter-top-bottom
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 13:01:41 +0000

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> So, for me, the window point being near the middle or at the middle is
> the same goal. Why is it important for you to move the window point
> precisely to the center (from nearby)?

Because it would surprise me otherwise, and I would be surprised that
other users wouldn't be surprised by this.  As I said, I mentionned a
habit of mine, but I guess for command like C-l we all share the same
background of fundamental habits.

> (You can still do that, but `C-u C-l' is not as handy, if you want
> such precision often.)

Yes. Again, I am just trying to make my point very clear so that other
users thinking the same can say: I like recenter-top-bottom but I also
expect the point to jump to the center when it's nearby, so I prefer
recenter-top-bottom #2 over #1.

> It sounds like that is what you prefer. I have no idea what most
> people prefer - I was guessing that they would prefer what I proposed,
> but life can be full of surprises.

So we should spare us Emacs specific surprises :)

Lets give time to people to see what they think.

> Sure. Anyway, as I said, I don't have a preference for Emacs about
> this. I use this as a personal preference, and I don't care whether it
> becomes the default behavior or is even added to Emacs as an option. I
> am curious about the range of opinion though.

Note that it is much easier to have an "opinion" on C-l than to have one
on whether Rimbaud should have delayed his retirement.  Much easier, but
much also.

--
Bastien