RE: info.el patch to open node in new window

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: info.el patch to open node in new window
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 19:19:03 -0700

> > I'm not tied to a particular implementation, but I don't see what the
> > problem is with this implementation. You've said 3 times now
> > that FORK must go, but you haven't yet given any reason, AFAICT.
> >
> > I suggested these commands and bindings long ago. Please add
> > them, however you want to implement them.
>
> Ok, the FORK argument of existing Info commands can't be removed for
> compatibility reasons.  I also think that adding the FORK argument
> to all Info navigation commands like `u' (Info-up), `t' (Info-top-node),
> `d' (Info-directory), etc makes no sense because they might make
> a better use
> of the prefix argument and it's just easy to type `M-n u', `M-n d' etc.
>
> However, I agree that `Info-follow-nearest-node' and
> `Info-mouse-follow-nearest-node'
> are exceptions since they are general commands to follow a "link" (i.e.
> an Info reference or an Info menu/index item) and most browsers have a key
> to open a link in another window, so user will except Emacs to do
> the same.
> I think Info-mouse-follow-nearest-node should be the last command where
> we add the FORK argument.
>
> I noticed that in your patch the new command names have the `-new-window'
> suffix.  I think `-other-window' is a better suffix.  Also perhaps
> it should be bound to [S-mouse-2] instead of [S-down-mouse-2].

It sounds like the two of us, at least, generally agree about this.

`-other-window': I guess you're thinking that is consistent with some other
command names. This is a bit different in that in all cases it creates a new
window. I don't have a strong opinion about the name, in any case.

S-down-mouse-2: I use that because I generally have S-down-mouse-2 bound to
something else that tracks mouse movement: `mouse-scan-lines-or-M-:'. Using
the same binding here overrides cleanly and prevents interference. A
tracking function needs to be bound to a down event (the up event removes
the highlighting).

I sent a patch to include `mouse-scan-lines-or-M-:' in Emacs on 2007-07-13,
Subject "mouse.el patch to flash yank position and highlight line". It
highlights the line under the pointer as long as the mouse button is
depressed; the highlighting tracks the pointer.