Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 20:20:47 -0400

     > The same can be accomplished by C-x C-f from inside a running Emacs.

    Sigh. We're working on different projects. Each project has its
    own environment. We have to start Emacs in the right project
    environment in order to have write access to the project's data.
    (In some cases we need to start Emacs in the right project
    environment even for read access.)

That is very strange.  Could you explain?

It ought to be possible to use the same Emacs for multiple
projects, and if it is not, we should try to do something about that.

    The workflow you're proposing would be in this case:
    - submit Emacs job
    - wait several seconds
    - C-x C-f FILE
    - wait longer

No, I'm proposing that you always have an Emacs running, so when you
want to use it you can connect to it.

I am surprised by the clever uses that a few of you have found for
file name args, but that isn't really relevant to the issue.  You're
an experienced user, and you have seen the info in the splash screen.
If you don't want it to appear, turn it off.