Re: .emacs-settings.el

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: .emacs-settings.el
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 17:09:29 -0600

>> Also, it would be nice if some "project-centric" things like
>> compile-history, gdb command lines, and the tags buffer were made
>> per-project; and if desktop.el understood that and saved them as such.

Juri> Isn't this possible by setting `compile-history', `tags-file-name'
Juri> in the common file like .dirvars.el in the project's root directory?

My idea for how this feature would be used is that a project
maintainer would check in the settings file.  Then if you check out
the project and edit it, you will automatically get the correct
settings.

In this mode, it is important not to check in settings which are
things that the user might want to modify.  So, for instance, it would
be appropriate to set indentation in this file (that is a property of
the project) but not, say, c-mode's electric key settings (since that
is a preference of the user's).

Anyway ... for compile or gud, IME the settings change from time to
time and the nicest thing is to save them automatically.  I
experimented for a while with editing these in my .emacs, but that is
too heavy-weight.

Tom