Re: .emacs-settings.el

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: .emacs-settings.el
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 11:47:08 -0600

>>>>> "Stefan" == Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

[ C-h v output ]

Stefan> I don't think it's a necessary feature, but it would be a nice
Stefan> addition (for for file-local and dir-local settings).  I'm not
Stefan> sure how to implement it either, but I guess we could change
Stefan> hack-local-variables to maintain a new (buffer-local) variable
Stefan> `file-local-settings' and in C-h v we check this var to see if
Stefan> the variable displayed is among the ones that were set
Stefan> file-locally.

I was thinking about this, and it occurred to me that we could have
"false positives".  E.g., project.el might set the variable and add it
to file-local-settings, but then some later hook might setq the
variable as well.  In this situation C-h v would incorrectly say that
the variable had a project setting -- unless every setq manipulated
file-local-settings.  The reason this is bad is that the point of
mentioning this in C-h v is to avoid confusion resulting variables
magically being set -- but in this situation you would be just as
confused trying (mistakenly) to debug your .emacs-settings.el.

Tom