Re: `*' interactive spec in some text-killing functions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: `*' interactive spec in some text-killing functions
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 00:20:38 +0200

"Mathias Dahl" <address@hidden> writes:

>> This discussion ceased to be about technical matters very soon...
>
> But it was amusing, a bit like a ping pong match... :)

I don't see that I succeeded soliciting the ping, though not for lack
of trying.

> A defadvice, like you suggested yourself, seems to be the win-win
> solution here. You are happy, David is happy and this means we all
> are happy :)

If I understood Juanma correctly (actually, rather unlikely), he had a
particular application where toggling overwrite-mode in read-only
buffers was causing him problems.

I have no clue what problems, and I have been completely unable to
coerce him into producing any argument that would make me get his
point.  While he accuses me that I wanted to convince him of being
mistaken or whatever, in fact I was rather begging to be convinced, to
no avail.  I have seen _nothing_ from him that I would have considered
a plausible basis for his wish.  Plausible in that it would explain to
me why _he_ considers his proposal a good idea, never mind whether _I_
would come to different conclusions from the same basis.

But I completely fail to see what could make him (never mind myself)
consider his proposal a worthwhile idea.  It's not just that I have a
different opinion: I don't _understand_ his position at all.  It is
completely void of any purpose I can discern.  I am just _baffled_.

Whatever.