Re: Things I would like to be added after the release

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Things I would like to be added after the release
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 08:47:59 -0400

> 0)   ECB works fine as is with advice.
> 3) By observing what extension points ECB needed, what
>      hooks/extension points can base Emacs provide? What can we
>      learn?  Which of the ECB extension points are ECB specific,
>      and which aren't?

That's exactly what is usually meant by "don't use advice in Emacs".
Basically any use of defadvice is either an indication that the programmer
didn't know about some other way to do the thing, or an indication that
there is a missing hook (or config/extension point).

But it can be difficult for Emacs authors to study some external library to
try and understand what hook/extension would be desired.  So it's a lot
better if the library's maintainer helps us coming up with the right
extension point.

        Stefan