Re: Compiling emacs 22 on ubuntu 7.0.4

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Compiling emacs 22 on ubuntu 7.0.4
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:23:11 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 04:06:55 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> The problem I am talking about is not just about icons.
> Emacs ought to support various graphics formats,
> if their libraries are installed.  If they are not installed,
> why should Emacs build without complaint and then lack the
> functionality?  I think it's a mistake.

I'm not sure I understand what scenario you were talking about.  The
origin of this thread was about a Windows build, where it is not
uncommon for the binaries to be built on one system, and then run on
many others (we provide precompiled Windows binaries on ftp.gnu.org).
In this scenario, while the machine where Emacs was built would
normally have all the image libraries (since Emacs developers
generally have them installed), we cannot assume anything about the
end-user machine.

In any case, the Windows configure script clearly says whether it did
or did not find each one of the image support libraries, although
those messages might not stand out enough among other configure-time
messages.