Re: Mac - why no proxy badge for dired mode?

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Mac - why no proxy badge for dired mode?
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 21:09:31 +0900 (JST)

>>>>> On 04 Nov 2006 03:02:37 -0800, address@hidden (Randal L. Schwartz) said:

YAMAMOTO> I doubt whether displaying the proxy icon for a dired buffer
YAMAMOTO> is the right thing.  Is there any application having that
YAMAMOTO> behavior?

> Yes.  Finder.  I can drag the icon representing the finder folder
> into another app.  And finder's view of a folder is very analogoes
> to dired mode in emacs.

I see.  I overlooked a big one.

YAMAMOTO> Also, the icon is not draggable when the buffer modification
YAMAMOTO> flag is set.

> This is a deliberate Mac apps UI decision.  You can't drag a proxy
> icon if it doesn't actually represent what is "on disk".

What I meant is that even if the proxy icon is displayed for a dired
buffer, it becomes undraggable once the buffer modification flag is
set.

Anyway, I don't have a good idea about implementing the Finder-like
proxy icon behavior in an acceptable way now.  Non-trivial changes
should be avoided at this stage, and I'm negative about changing the
dired code just for this Mac-only feature.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden