Re: Back to emacsclient/server

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Back to emacsclient/server
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:31:49 -0400

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 16:36:15 +0100
>
> > What about the overkill of writing a much more complicated code in
> > Emacs?  That was what I was talking about.
>
> 1) Are you sure it's much more complicated than the existing
>    emacsclient+emacsserver combinations?

I think it's pretty obvious: the need to autodetect the libraries in
the configure script, the need for C code to interface with the
libraries, the need to require the libraries for emacsclient
functionality, etc.

> 2) Please consider the gains from a SSH approach: no special
>    emacsclient, secure authenticated connections, etc. as I listed
>    already.

I don't see any need for authentication and secure connections as long
as the connection is on the same machine.