Re: Two new Zippy'ism contributions

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Two new Zippy'ism contributions
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 00:11:05 +0200

>     Maybe it sounds harsh, but the originals are often pretty inspired,
>     and it's not that easy to quickly churn outs stuff that's equally good;
>     if we distribute a file filled with randomly solicited replacements, I
>     expect the result will disappoint those people who use yow.
>
> How about if the people who want to replace it set themselves up as a
> committee to choose the best proposals.  They can make another mailing
> list; then we won't discuss it further on this list.

Any old pinhead fan can just copy the yow.lines file from their existing
emacs installation into emacs 22.  New users will _not_ miss it.  So
why are we discussing this issue.

We need to fix the text in the stripped yow.lines, as it no longer
consists of any Zippy quotations:

Current text reads:

A data base Zippy the pinhead might love.
Everything up to the first ascii \000 (`null') character is a comment.
The file consists of Zippy quotations (from various comic books and
 strips by Bill Griffith) followed by a null character.
 Newline characters following a quotation are ignored and are present
 only for readability.
Have FUN!

I suggest this text instead:

This is the data base for the yow.el package.
It used to contain Zippy quotations (from various comic books and strips
by Bill Griffith), but these have been removed due to legal concerns.

Everything up to the first ascii \000 (`null') character is a comment.
The file should consist of blocks of text, each followed by a null character.
Newline characters following a null character are ignored and are present
only for readability.