Re: How to change line endings - where is it explained?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to change line endings - where is it explained?
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 20:57:24 +0300

> Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 07:48:43 +0200
> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> CC:  address@hidden
>
> > Yes, it is described in the node "Text and Binray".
> >
> > What did you try to look for it?  Perhaps we need to improve the
> > indexing.
> >
> Thanks, yes I wonder why I missed that. A couple of small things perhaps:
>
> - The name of the node is a bit "C style".
> - I looked for "line endings".
> - I looked for "line end conversion".
> - I actually also searched for CRLF, but possibly only in the elisp
> manual since I wanted to do the conversion in code.
> - I was thinking about coding systems, but somehow I missed that you
> could use just 'unix or 'dos for the coding system in some operations.
> - I looked at the node "(emacs) Files" which says it tells everything
> about files.
> - I looked at `buffer-file-coding-system' etc.

I added some index entries that should make this search easier.

> Some suggestions:
>
> - A link to  "(emacs) Coding Systems"  in "(emacs) Files".

There is already such a link: see the node "Visiting".

> - Something about line endings too in "(emacs) Files", possibly in
> connection with the link above.

Ditto: "Visiting" already talks about EOLs.

> - "(emacs) Coding Systems" should mention 'dos, 'unix and 'mac.

It already does, please take a closer look.

> - "(elisp) Files" should mention line endings.

I added the references to code and EOL conversions to the appropriate
sections of files.texi.

> - `describe-coding-system' could somehow mention line endings.

Done.