Re: W32 version crashes on C-g

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: W32 version crashes on C-g
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:42:06 +0200

> Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 07:00:03 +0100
> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I think nt/INSTALL should be gradually refined.

Please feel free to suggest such refinements.

> It already has a lot of good stuff; what it is not, however, is a
> step-by-step guide.

It's supposed to be, and I think it comes close.

> So at this moment, anyone wanting to build on Emacs has to be brave,
> and willing to invest a bit of time and also be able to track things
> down by h(im|er)self.

I disagree.  When I first built Emacs on Windows, I didn't need
anything except setting up a working development environment.  After
that, Emacs configured and built like a charm.  (The only issue was
the 3rd party image libraries that had incompatible headers.  But
that's hardly a problem with Emacs.)  I didn't need any bravery.

> I have a little experience building on Emacs, and yet
> I find so cumbersome setting up the building environment

I find it very simple, perhaps because the first thing I do is
download GCC, Binutils, and every other ported GNU package (Coreutils,
Sed, Grep, Gawk, Make, Texinfo, Diffutils, and Patch) one needs for
decent development.

Note that nt/INSTALL currently doesn't aim at explaining how to set up
a working development environment, only what add-ons to an already
working environment one will need to build Emacs.  INSTALL assumes
that you can already compile C programs on Windows (that wasn't true
for Kim), so you only need to be told to get rm.exe and such likes.