Re: Display slowness that is painful

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Display slowness that is painful
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:20:47 +0100

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     YOU said YOU have this problem and wanted us to work on a fix.
>     Now you say it is not an issue anymore.  So I'm confused!
>
> We're talking about two different issues.  There was the large file
> (named .gif, though it wasn't really one) which took minutes to
> redisplay.  You installed a fix for that problem, right?

I installed a fix to make it faster -- but I can still create
a file which takes minutes to display -- it just requires a line
which is veeeeeeerrrrrryyyyy long.

In my case, that specific .gif file still takes 4-5 seconds to display
even with my fix.

So the fundamental problem of redisplay being O(n) to the length
of lines in the buffer is not fixed, and I don't know how to
solve it (and we certainly shouldn't do this BTR).

> Then there's the problem you reported, where redisplay took a few
> seconds, and that was long enough to be pre-empted by selection
> requests from Klipper.

Yes, that is a different problem as such -- but I guess we can
find other cases where some activity is stalling redisplay when
redisplay-dont-pause is nil.  So I would still like to put some
upper limit on the time where we force a redisplay to actually
update the screen.

> That is also a serious issue, but it is due to a Klipper bug and we
> can address it sufficiently by telling users "Update your KDE or don't
> run Klipper".  Isn't that so?

That is a work-around for one manifestation of the problem...