Re: Display slowness that is painful

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Display slowness that is painful
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 21:06:36 -0500

    Of course, SELECTION_REQUEST_EVENTs shouldn't interrupt redisplay (contrary
    to user input).

If redisplay is reasonably fast, then I would tend to agree.  However,
this problem occurs because redisplay is pretty slow in a certain
case.  And if redisplay is that slow, maybe SELECTION_REQUEST_EVENT should
pre-empt it.  After all, SELECTION_REQUEST_EVENT is only supposed
to be sent when the user clicks in another window, and the user ought
to get fast service.

We shouldn't try to optimize the support for SELECTION_REQUEST_EVENT
for the case of a broken Klipper program.

What I think is suspicious is why redisplay spends so much time
thinking before it starts really outputting anything.  That could
be a flaw in Emacs.