RE: Time to install the new icons

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Time to install the new icons
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 08:13:01 -0800

    So should we install the single Windows .ico file sent in the above
    message as the default Emacs icon on MS-Windows?  I'm not sure we've
    reached a consensus on this.  Would people who use Emacs on Windows
    look at that icon and speak up their minds?

1. Could we please include different color-scheme versions of the (same)
icons in the Windows exe? In Windows (and perhaps on other platforms), it is
easy for users to change the icon that they associate with a program. When
they do this, they open a particular set of icon choices and choose one.
Keeping to the same design but providing several color-scheme variants would
be good.

I'm not a Windows expert, but I believe it is easier for a user to change
the icon associated with a shortcut (to an app) than the icon associated
directly with the app itself. In the case of a shortcut, you just
right-click it, choose Properties, click Change Icon..., and click the icon
you want.

If changing the icon associated directly with an app is harder for users to
do (e.g. change registry settings), then we might want to also provide
shortcuts to runemacs.exe and emacs.exe (and gnuclientw.exe, if that's
provided). It would then be enough to include the color-scheme variants of
the icons in the same folder. (We could also include older icons, in a
subfolder.)

2. You ask if we should include the single .ico file from Andrew's email.
The only .ico file in that message is a 48x48 icon. In Windows, at least, we
will need to provide additional icons of different sizes - in particular,
16x16.