Info toolbar icons (Was: Diropen toolbar icon)

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Info toolbar icons (Was: Diropen toolbar icon)
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 14:43:15 +0200

> I think we have to do it ourselves, if we want to do so.

Perhaps we should take the image of the paper sheet from new.xpm or
search.xpm, and add arrows to it.

>>There are currently also another inconsistency.  In the header line
>>navigational keywords are in the following order:
>>
>>  Next: ...   Prev: ...   Up: ...
>>
>>But on the toolbar the order of icons is different:
>>
>>  prev-node   next-node   up-node
>
> Actually here I think info mode should be changed (if we shall change
> anything).  It is more common for the order to be (prev, next) than
> (next, prev) in mail readers, browsers, pdf viewers and such.  I don't
> know who okays such a change, I guess the standalone info viewer should
> change also if Emacs changes.

We could change the order only on the header line.  And with
Info-use-header-line=nil, the order in Info buffers in the Emacs
reader could remain the same as in Info files.

There is one convenience with the current order of links in the header
line (i.e. "Next: Prev: Up:").  You can place the mouse pointer on
the Next link on the left side, and to visit subsequent nodes by
clicking without moving the mouse pointer, because in every node the
position of the Next link in the header line is the same.

However, if we change the order, the Next link could be right justified
on the right side of the window like this:

Prev: ...                     Up: ...                   Next: ...

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/