Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 21:34:11 -0600 (CST)

Kim Storm wrote:

   I don't think a user is supposed to change buffer specific options
   like that - Lisp modes may do that, or if needed, the user should
   do it via a hook.

A user definitely can change buffer (as opposed to mode) specific
options.  `set-variable' provides for this.  The Options menu
currently contains, at top level, "Truncate Long Lines in this Buffer",
which is buffer-local (_not_ mode local).

   I don't know whether Options=>Save Options integrates with Customize
   or not.

Yes.  It saves by writing into the `custom-set-[variables,faces]' forms.
There are some problems in this respect with "Word Rap in Text Modes",
which saves all of the current value of text-mode-hook into those
forms, which might be inappropriate.

Sincerely,

Luc.