Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 23:19:46 +0100

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

>    On the Appearence menu, there could be a Cursor submenu with
>    these choices:
>
>          [x] Blinking
>          <x> Block
>          < > Bar
>          < > Hollow
>
> Please remember the non-selected window, too!

Based on the current functionality, that would be:

        [x] Blinking
        <x> Block
        < > Bar
        < > Hollow
        [x] In non-selected windows

>          < > Bar                   < > Bar
>              Width <2>                 Width <2>

IMO, we don't have to be able to specify every detail of every option
in the menu -- so the width of the bar cursor should be left out.
Besides, I don't see how you can change that value via the menu.

> The new function and variable might be:
>
>       (blink-cursor-mode-non-selected-window 0)
>       (setq cursor-type-non-selected-window 'hollow)

I don't see any point in extending the cursor-in-non-selected-windows
functionality beyond the current hollow box cursor.

Specifically, I don't see any point in a blinking cursor in
non-selected windows.

> For a mouse user interface, buffer specific options might go into a
> submenu of some sort.

I don't think a user is supposed to change buffer specific options
like that - Lisp modes may do that, or if needed, the user should
do it via a hook.

> Presumably, a mouse user interface that sets values permanently makes
> use of the same automatic code writing library as Customize?  Is that
> right?  Or does it use a different library?  I do not use my mouse in
> the Emacs menu and have never looked into the matter.

I don't know whether Options=>Save Options integrates with Customize
or not.