Re: Updating release version to 22.1

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Updating release version to 22.1
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 14:15:51 +0000

Robert J. Chassell wrote:
       because what occured is that an extra real release was added in
between the last real release and the designated next real release.

Yes, consequently the designated next real release should be called
21.5.
RMS has already stated that the next release from the trunk will be 22.1, and I think most developers agree with him, so it is not a useful use of our time to continue discussing what the next release will be called.

Discussing what the pre-release and development version will be called is marginally more useful, but I've yet to see anyone put forward a suggestion that does not have as many drawbacks as the current system, and it has wasted a lot of time now, so unless someone comes up with something new that they've thought through themselves first, then it must be about time to drop the discussion and stick with what we have, which while not perfect has suited us well enough until now.