Re: Updating release version to 22.1

From: Lute Kamstra
Subject: Re: Updating release version to 22.1
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:44:55 +0100

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

[...]

> My primary concern is if some code tests specifically for MM.1 in some
> way, e.g. "version >= MM.1" and the dev/pretest version is MM.0, then
> we may not see a specific error until we update the version to MM.1
> and release the software -- without EVER testing that it works
> with the actual release number.
>
> Sadly code _does_ test version numbers!

Yup, I remember finding a bug with scrollbars on Irix when Emacs'
version number was changed from 21.0.106 to 21.1.

Maybe somebody can do a grep on the sources and double-check the uses
of emacs-\(major\|minor\)-version?  Code that in maintained within
Emacs' CVS shouldn't have to use those variables (except as
informative output for users).

Lute.