Re: Current CVS doesn't bootstrap

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Current CVS doesn't bootstrap
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 12:55:33 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

       > I believe we discussed this before.  We either have to document in
       > INSTALL.CVS that you have to do `make maintainer-clean' before `make
       > bootstrap' or we have to make sure that `make bootstrap' removes the
       > .elc files automatically, as it used to do.

   What was the motive for changing it not to do that?

To make bootstrapping run faster.  We discussed this before and
decided to have `make bootstrap' remove the .elc files once again, but
provide some alternate version bootstrap-build that does not do that.

Essentially:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-09/msg00720.html

Again, this was never implemented.  I am not familiar enough with the
Makefiles to do this myself.

Sincerely,

Luc.