Re: Current CVS doesn't bootstrap

From: Satyaki Das
Subject: Re: Current CVS doesn't bootstrap
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 18:42:49 -0800

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> > Moreover, if a .el file is newer than the .elc file, then I _believe_
> > that the present version of make bootstrap _already_ recompiles
> > anyway.  (It is a long time ago that I did a `make bootstrap' without
> > a prior `make maintainer-clean', however.)
>
> But the problem is that the file to be compiled may require other files
> with a out-of-date elc files.

Yes, this is exactly the problem, especially if the code that you
are compiling have macros.  Then the old macros are used in the
new .elc files and all hell breaks loose.

We came across this in MH-E.  The solution that we came up with
was to add an advice to require to load the uncompiled file
instead of the .elc file which might be stale.  The code is in
lisp/mh-e/mh-acros.el.  For general use during emacs compilation,
I would vote for something a little more general where we check
the time-stamps of the .el and .elc file and load the .el if the
.elc is older.

Satyaki