Re: Small enhancement for add-log.el

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Small enhancement for add-log.el
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 17:45:59 -0500 (CDT)

Kim Storm wrote:

   Personally I would find it "consistent" if 'q' could be used to quit
   out of any buffer that I have just "looked at" and never intended to
   change--whether I opened it (or some other command opened it) in
   view-mode or not (as is the case for pcl-cvs).

   Whether I can 'expect that' is another issue -- for me, the
   convenience of being able to do so would IMHO greatly exceed the
   rare(?) inconvenience of having to do something special if I
   really need to insert a 'q' as the first character in a buffer after
   opening it.

   Of course, if I also want SPC and DEL to behave like view-mode, things
   may get more confusing.

The fact that if I type `q' in a writable buffer then `q' gets
inserted, is consistent with the fact that if I type any other
self-inserting character, it is going to self-insert.

Actually, even in read-only buffers, `q' has no real standard meaning,
although it usually _buries_ the buffer.  View mode's treatment of `q'
is somewhat unusual, in that it usually kills the buffer.

`C-x k RET' is not exactly super-inconvenient.

You seem to consider View mode as _the_ standard behavior of Emacs.
If that is how you feel, why do you not enable View mode by default in
all buffers, or at least in all buffers in which you want the
behavior?  (In your own Emacs, not in CVS.)  You can always press `e'
if you actually want to do some editing.  That would seem to be a
_much_ simpler way to achieve what you want to achieve.

Sincerely,

Luc.