Re: Small enhancement for add-log.el

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Small enhancement for add-log.el
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 08:01:52 -0500 (CDT)

I still do not understand why you expect q in a Changelog buffer to do
anything else but insert itself, as it does in any other editable
buffer.

   I usually browse the ChangeLogs from a pcl-cvs buffer; there SPC (or
   mouse-2) opens the ChangeLog in "ChangeLog mode", not view mode.

I use VC myself, so I am not familiar with pcl-cvs, but apparently
you seem to _expect_ SPC to open the ChangeLog in View mode.  This
would appear to be strictly a pcl-cvs issue, as Kai suggested.

   Still, it should be possible to have a sort of "pseudo-view-minor-mode"
   which works like view mode until you make some "real change" to a file.

I believe it would be _way_ too confusing to the user to enable
anything like that by default.  It could be argued that no feature
does any harm if completely optional, but I can not see why it would
be worth the trouble.  If you want to visit a buffer in View mode,
just visit it in View mode.  Again, I believe that the only problem is
that there is something in the pcl-cvs interface that you do not like.

Apart from that there does not seem to be a big problem.  accidentally
inserting a character is no big deal.  You either hit `undo' or
Backspace.  End of problem.  Happens all the time for various reasons.

Sincerely,

Luc.