Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows
Date: 04 Aug 2004 17:09:56 -0400

>> What ever approach you/anyone writing an Installation program for MS OS
>> takes, IMO, please make sure we do not have to have _admin_ rights to
>> install. This is a real stopper. I have found many users giving up on
>> lot of tools due to this limitation.

> Why? Why should "lusers" install new software on a computer?

Why not?  If the admin gave them the right to do that (which is the case by
default)?

        Stefan

PS: Another request: make sure the installer does not require to agree to
    the GPL before installing.  You can put a blurb about "this is GPL'd
    isn't that grand", but don't put one of those silly "you have to agree
    to the licence before I can continue" thingies since the GPL is
    irrelevant to the user's right to install and run the software.