Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows
Date: 24 Aug 2004 20:08:29 +0200

Steven Tamm <address@hidden> writes:

> As for personal preference, I would do the following:
>
> %PROGRAM_FILES%\GNU Emacs\bin\emacs.exe
> or possibly this, although less desirable since there aren't any
> symbolic links
> %PROGRAM_FILES%\GNU Emacs\21.3\bin\emacs.exe

    File: efaq,  Node: Difference between Emacs and XEmacs,  Next: Emacs for
MS-DOS,  Prev: Current GNU distributions,  Up: Finding Emacs and related
packages

    What is the difference between Emacs and XEmacs (formerly "Lucid Emacs")?

    First of all, they're both GNU Emacs.  XEmacs is just as much a later
    version of GNU Emacs as the FSF-distributed version.  This FAQ refers to
    the latest version to be distributed by the FSF as "Emacs," partly
    because the XEmacs maintainers now refer to their product using the
    "XEmacs" name, and partly because there isn't any accurate way to
    differentiate between the two without getting mired in paragraphs of
    legalese and history.

Please just use "Emacs" as a name.  Anything else would be misleading
in that context.