Re: @#$! new behavior of C-b & C-f in i-search

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: Re: @#$! new behavior of C-b & C-f in i-search
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 07:22:04 +0200

Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> writes:

> I have similar feelings.  However, I have decided that I would like
> to try it for a while longer before reaching a decision.  Perhaps I
> can retrain myself to always exit with RET.

Agreed.  The current implementation looks clean and I'm sure I can get
used to it the next weeks.

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

> Same here.  Please change them, perhaps to M-C-b and M-C-f.

Being force to press three key to move one step forward or backward is
too expensive.  As long as you can press M-f or M-b to break out of the
search the implementation is okay - To break out I mostly use: RET,
C-SPC, M-f or M-b, or - yes - arrow-left or arrow-right.

> The feature itself is exellent.  But I still have trouble with the
> keybindings.  I never knew I used `C-b' & `C-f' so often, but I do,
> and the habit is very hard to break.

yes, but I think it is more important that having found the first
occurance of the (beginning of) string you can press several C-f in a
row to extent the search string; that less error prone than being force
to enter all the different letters: k-i-n-d-e-r-g-a-r-t-e-n.  Yes, I
know, you can complete the search word using C-w; but often, you are not
interested in the complete word and thus you cannot make use of C-w.

--
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |   (*)/'(*)