Re: @#$! new behavior of C-b & C-f in i-search

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: @#$! new behavior of C-b & C-f in i-search
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 09:03:59 +0300

Karl Eichwalder <address@hidden> writes:
> "Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:
>> The feature itself is exellent.  But I still have trouble with the
>> keybindings.  I never knew I used `C-b' & `C-f' so often, but I do,
>> and the habit is very hard to break.
>
> yes, but I think it is more important that having found the first
> occurance of the (beginning of) string you can press several C-f in a
> row to extent the search string; that less error prone than being force
> to enter all the different letters: k-i-n-d-e-r-g-a-r-t-e-n.  Yes, I
> know, you can complete the search word using C-w; but often, you are not
> interested in the complete word and thus you cannot make use of C-w.

There is no doubt that functions to modify the search
string character-wise should have dedicated key bindings.
But it became apparent that C-f and C-b are quite intrusive.
Luckily, C-M-w and C-M-y are no less convenient to type,
because they are located on the same keys to which other
yank-related functions are bound: C-w, C-y, M-y.  And they
will cause no harm because C-M-w is a rare command (especially
in isearch mode) and C-M-y is undefined.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/