Re: Improved help from minibuffer prompts

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Improved help from minibuffer prompts
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 20:33:26 +0200

On Sat, 01 May 2004 13:51:44 -0400, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> Emacs Lisp does not support them, and I believe it is better
> not to add that feature.

`defun*' is a macro in emacs-lisp/cl-macs.el which allows creating
defuns with (almost-)full CL-style arglists. In fact, there are at least
two modules in Emacs which already define functions with such arglists:

  net/quickurl.el: (quickurl, quickurl-read, quickurl-browse-url)
  progmodes/ebrowse.el: (ebrowse-draw-file-member-info)

There is also machinery (help-make-usage, from help-fns.el) to support
them in describe-function. So it's better if help-highlight-arguments
also supports them. Even if we were to expurge such functions from the
sources, the user can make use of defun*... I don't think we're going to
remove functionality from cl-macs.el, aren't we?

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u