Re: Drag and drop patch for X, please review.

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Drag and drop patch for X, please review.
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:08:56 -0500

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 10:55:23PM +0100, Jan D. wrote:
> >Well, err, the obvious idea is to have (DND-TYPE TEST FUNCTION)
> >triples instead of pairs, where the TEST has an arg specifying where
> >the drag is going to happen.
>
> I thought that would be too complex for a user to customize.  For
> example,

However complex it is, it's certainly simpler than modifying a built-in
hardwired function though!  Anyway, I think the above sort of interface is
easy enough for the customize package to manipulate, and it can offer a more
user friendly interface.

I'd suggest:

  (1) Make the alist entry be one of (DND-TYPE DROP-FUN TEST-FUN) or
      (DND-TYPE . DROP-FUN) with TEST-FUN being a test function that accepts
      the same args as DROP-FUN.  Putting the TEST-FUN last makes it easier
      to omit.

  (2) If TEST-FUN is omitted/nil, default to some common formula like `in a
      writable text area'

  (3) Export the default test-function as a real function, so the user can
      call it from his code too (or use it explicitly in the alist, though of
      course that would be redundant).

-Miles
--
I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono album; no rhyme
or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and then it's over.  --Ian Wolff